Opening to the public of the Oratory of the Savior of Villa Ca' Nave in Cittadella
From the late 17th century, it houses works attributed to important international artists such as the frescoes by the French painter Louis Dorigny and the marble busts by the Flemish Giusto Le Court.
Overlooking the road, just outside the city walls, is the complex of Villa Nave Querini known as “Ca’ Nave” and the Oratory of the Savior. Shortly after obtaining the noble title, Bernardo Nave, an illustrious representative of the family that owned a manor house there, decided to restructure it and to build a mausoleum chapel, which was completed by 1689, on the site of an ancient xenodochium dedicated to St. Lazarus.
The quality of the design, truly unusual for a chapel attached to a villa, has been attributed to the architect Antonio Gaspari; even the decorative solution, which transforms the interior space almost into a theatrical room, is of the same quality: it can indeed be considered one of the most homogeneous and precious examples of painting and sculpture decoration from the late 17th century.